PRINCE William and Prince Harry have “not spoken to each other for months” about Diana’s memorial, a source has claimed.
Prince Harry, 36, this week repeated that he and his brother were on “different paths” after he quit the Royal Family.
? Read our Meghan and Harry live blog for the latest news...
According to a source, the two brothers haven’t spoken in months about Diana’s memorial statueCredit: AFP
The memorial statue of Diana is to be unveiled on July 1Credit: Getty Images – Getty
In 2017 it was announced that ahead of the 20th anniversary of their mother’s death that the brothers planned to install a statue in Diana‘s memory.
The sculpture, to be installed in the gardens at Kensington Palace, is the first to commemorate the people’s princess.
Diana died aged 36 on August 31, 1997, with boyfriend Dodi Fayed, 42, and driver Henri Paul, 41, when their car crashed in Paris.
However, the rift between the once inseparable brothers means they haven’t been in touch to further plan the statue due to be unveiled on July 1.
“It’s a very sad situation but the relationship is so strained that they haven’t even been able to pick up the phone to discuss matters,” a source told the Daily Mail.
“That’s the sad truth.”
But despite the row, it has been reported Prince Harry is still committed to returning for the unveiling of the memorial statue.
The event is being organised by a steering committee that has privately raised funds for the monument.
The Diana Princess of Wales statue committee is chaired by Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton, Diana’s former private secretary and trusted friend.
Prince Harry spoke of tensions with his brother and father
Prince Charles and Princess Diana with their sons as young boys
The Royal Family has been left reeling by the claims
Other people in the committee is Diana’s sister Lady Sarah McCorquodale as well as Julia Samuel a close friend of Diana and godmother to Prince George.
It was announced today that the brothers will stand ‘shoulder to shoulder’ at their mother’s memorial despite the race row engulfing the Royal Family.
And the Duke of Sussex made a string of explosive claims about his family – saying wife Meghan Markle had faced racist comments after they started dating as well as that his father Prince Charles stopped taking his calls and that he had been cut off financially by the institution.
Speaking to Lorraine, Royal expert Russell Myers said this morning: “I can exclusively reveal that William is still committed, as is Harry, to get together on July 1 for the unveiling of the Princess Diana statue at Kensington Gardens.
“This could be a monumental period for the brothers.”
He further claimed the brothers had barely spoken since Megxit unfolded last year, adding: “I’m sure everyone would be delighted” to see them together again.
Prince William yesterday said he had not spoken to Harry since the Oprah interview but said: “I will.”
And Mr Myers said the Queen was taking the lead on Megxit, with the 94-year-old monarch keen to speak to the Sussexes to “iron things out”.
The Oprah interview was aired in the US overnight for the UK on Sunday before it was broadcast on Brits’ screens on Monday night.
In the tell-all chat, Prince Harry said he loved his older brother “to bits” but that they were on “different paths”.
Harry is yet to return to the UK after moving to the US – with travel restrictions due to Covid stopping him from being able to visit his family.
However, Mr Myers’ comments today suggest he is hoping to get back to London for the summer ceremony.
The palace released a statement on Wednesday after the Oprah interview, saying: “The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan.
“The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning.
“Whilst some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately.”