THE new series is coming to Netflix soon and is already rumoured to be the best fantasy show since The Witcher.
Based on a novel of the same name by author Leigh Bardugo, the new teen show features a cast of relative unknowns.
Scottish newcomer, Kit Young will join the castCredit: ATTILA SZVACSEK/NETFLIX
Who stars in Shadow & Bone?
The show features a cast of young actors who only have a handful of mainstream acting credits to their names.
Leigh Bardugo, author of the original novels explains the importance in casting a number of fresh, new faces,
“This is a story about young people who have been overlooked and who’ve never had the chance to show people what they can do, who have all this talent and all of this power,”.
Some fans may still recognise Ben Barnes of The Chronicles of Narnia fame starring as the mysterious and enigmatic General Kirigan in Shadow & Bone.
Here’s the main cast list:
Jessie Mei Li (centre) takes on the starring role of Alina StarkovCredit: DAVID APPLEBY/NETFLIX
- Jessie Mei Li as Alina Starkov. The Chinese-British actress plays the main role of Alina Starkov, the orphan mapmaker who may hold the power to destroying the dark forces, the Shadow Fold. The 25-year-old actress made her stage debut in 2019’s National Theatre Live production of All About Eve, starring Gillian Anderson and Lily James.
- Luke Pasqualino plays the supporting character, David Kostyk. Most famous for his role as Freddie McClair on Skins, Pasqualino has since starred as d’Artagnan in The Musketeers and as Elvis Harte in Our Girl. He’s also guest-starred on inside No.9 and had a supporting role in Bong Joon-ho’s 2013 film Snowpiercer.
- Archie Renaux plays Mal Oretsev, Alina’s oldest friend, a former soldier of the First Army and a gifted tracker. The 23-year-old British actor and model had a brief role in Amazon Prime’s Hanna. Renaux is also set to feature in Marvel’s Morbius.
- Freddy Carter stars as Kaz “dirtyhands” Brekker. Comics fans may recognize Carter from his three-episode turn as Jason Ripper in Pennyworth.
- Inej Ghafa is played by Amita Suman, a 23-year-old Nepalese-born British actress who you may remember from as Yaz’s grandmother, Umbreen, on Doctor Who. Suman starred in the season 11 episode Demons Of The Punjab & has since played Naya in Season 2 of The CW’s The Outpost.
- Kit Young, plays sharpshooter Jesper Fahey. The Scottish-Ugandan actor starred as Lysander in a 2019 National Theatre Live production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream. The 26-year-old actor is also due to star alongside Charlize Theron, Kerry Washington, Laurence Fishburne, and Michelle Yeoh in Netflix’s upcoming film adaptation of The School For Good and Evil.
- Irish actress Danielle Galligan plays Heartrender Nina Zenik in Shadow and Bone. The 28-year-old actress is best known for her role in season 8 of Game of Thrones, playing Sarra.
- Ben Barnes stars as General Kirrigan, aka the Darkling. Known for his role as Prince Caspian in The Chronicles of Narnia film series, Barnes has also starred as Logan Delos on Westworld and Billy Russo in The Punisher,
- American actor, Calahan Skogman plays Matthias Helvar in Shadow and Bone. This is one of Skogman’s first on-screen acting performances.
- Sujaya Dasgupta plays Zoya Nazyalensky. Dasgupta previously starred in seven episodes of Guilt, and was in one episode of I May Destroy You last year.
Where can you watch Shadow & Bone?
Known for his role as Freddie in Skins, Luke Pasqualino is one of the more recognisable facesCredit: � 2021 Netflix, Inc.
The teen fantasy series is out on Netflix in its entirety on Friday April, 23, 2021.
You can watch every episode on the subscription-based streaming service.