Table of Contents
- 1. Best for adding some cheer: Dearlove’s Pocketed Button Down Casual Cable Patchwork Striped Balloon Sleeve Long Cardigan
- 2. Print of the season: JHD’s Harajuku Long Sleeve Furry Pink Checkerboard Print Cardigan
- 3. Best tee alternative: Cropped Boxy Alpaca Blend T-Shirt
- 4. Best for preppy vibes: Mango’s Striped Cotton Cardigan
- 5. Best colour palette: & Other Stories’ Ruffled Wool Knit Polo Sweater
SPRING is just around the corner, which means it’s time for the age-old question: “coat or no coat?”
The season of daffodils, blossom in the trees and lighter evenings is always something to look forward to, but there’s no denying things can get tricky in the wardrobe department. As we shed the layers, it’s all-too-easy to fall into the trap of mistaking balmier days for full-on summer, as we smugly pack our winter outerwear away…and then realise we’re actually pretty chilly. Anyone else?
Above: spring knits seen on the SS21 catwalks at Miu Miu, Michael Kors, Chanel and Thebe Magugu
Luckily, spring is the season where knitwear really comes into its own, offering cosy layering pieces you can pop in your bag and throw on when it gets a little nippier.
The best spring knitwear is lightweight, versatile and should complement any number of outfits. An oversized knitted cardigan can bring a British heritage feel to your off-duty uniform of jeans and loafers, while a thin longline cardigan is great for an elegant, luxe look over any WFH outfit.
Sweater vests are massive again this season and still going strong after Ganni, Prada and Dior sent them down the AW20-21 runways. Likewise, checkerboard is a huge trend which will be seen everywhere, as well as second-skin knits that are clingy and very form-fitting.
Or if you’d rather stick to the classics, invest in spring-worthy pastels, quality cashmere and timeless argyle prints you can wear this spring and beyond.
Take a look at the best knitwear for spring below.
This article and featured products have been independently chosen by Sun journalists. It contains links which are ads, and if you click a link and buy a product we will earn revenue.
1. Best for adding some cheer: Dearlove’s Pocketed Button Down Casual Cable Patchwork Striped Balloon Sleeve Long Cardigan
- (AD) Dearlove Long Cardigan Sweater, from £15.99 from Amazon – buy here
Rainbow motifs are always a guaranteed way to add some joy to your wardrobe, and were seen at Gabriella Hearst, Versace and Christopher John Rogers on the SS21 catwalks.
We’re loving the subtle placement of rainbow stripes on this slouchy knit cardigan by Dearlove which is ideal for springtime looks. Worn with a classic white tee and jeans, it’s a great way to inject some colour into your attire this season.
2. Print of the season: JHD’s Harajuku Long Sleeve Furry Pink Checkerboard Print Cardigan
- (AD) JHD Harajuku Long Sleeve Furry Plush Pink Plaid Checkerboard Print Crop Cardigan, £31.97 from Amazon – buy here
Preen, Maryling, Louis Vuitton, Erdem. They’ve all been doing checkerboard print, and make no mistakes: this is the print of the season.
We’ve tracked down this adorable cardigan by JDD and it’s honestly the cutest thing we’ve seen all year. In a plush, furry knit and cropped silhouette, wear this with a pair of super-high waisted trousers for a 90s Clueless inspired moment.
3. Best tee alternative: Cropped Boxy Alpaca Blend T-Shirt
Credit: & Other Stories
Cropped Boxy Alpaca Blend T-Shirt, £55 from & Other Stories – buy here
Not quite ready for t-shirt weather? & Other Stories is helping you transition smoothly with this gorgeous Alpaca blend knitted tee.
Featuring raglan sleeves and a cropped, boxy silhouette, it’s perfect for laidback wear and has a lovely textured look to it that will add some dimension to your springtime outfit choices.
Also available in light grey and white, we’ve picked out the blue colourway which is perfectly matched for clear spring skies (fingers crossed).
4. Best for preppy vibes: Mango’s Striped Cotton Cardigan
- Striped cotton cardigan, £49.99 from Mango – buy here
Feeling preppy? You will be once you’ve set eyes on this striped beauty from Mango.
Made from a cotton blend, the lock V-neck design looks all sorts of fabulous with gold-tone buttons and red and navy stripes for the most collegiate of looks.
It’s a cardigan you can throw on any time and rely on to add some finesse and sophistication, whatever the setting.
5. Best colour palette: & Other Stories’ Ruffled Wool Knit Polo Sweater
Credit: & Other Stories
- Ruffled Wool Knit Polo Sweater, £65 from & Other Stories – buy here
Ahh, is there any colour more synonymous with spring than lemon? We think not!
This beautifully peppy sweater by & Other Stories is sunshine on a stick, with a seventies-esque polo collar and ruffled cuffs elevating it for the season.
Wear it with flared jeans for retro vibes this season.
Enjoyed our guide for the best spring knitwear? Why not check out this season’s best sweater vests?
We’ve also rounded up the best knitted loungewear here.
And check out our dedicated Sun Selects fashion section for more style tips, trends and products.